June 15, 2018
When it is ever okay to discuss pay?
When is it ever okay to discuss pay? The norm has always been to be quiet on pay and not discuss it. Human resource (HR) frowns terribly upon discussing pay among colleagues , but is it really all bad?
Here are pros and cons of discussing pay
- Knowledge is Power– The more information you have, the better able you are to negotiate. If you don’t know then you cannot ask for what you rightly deserve
- Motivating Factor– For most people, having information is one way to jump start them on what they need to do, which is one of two options- either remain where they are or go somewhere else to get better pay
- It eliminates Discrimination/Unfair Practices– if everyone knows everyone’s pay, it makes it harder to discriminate and pay different rates to different people for the same skills/experiences or jobs.
- Jealousy/Competition– Not everyone has the same level or years of experience which are often times factored into the pay scale. So discussing pay can bring up these emotions which may make the work place a bit tedious.
- Less Productivity: if workers are focused on what others make, it may lead to jealousy above causing loss in productivity as the workers may feel slighted and less inclined to perform
It is beneficial discussing pay when you are from different geographical areas or work places. It is very helpful to people who have plans of moving or simply want to make a comparison going forward.
As a parting word, at all times, make sure that what you earn is what you deserve (or more) for the skills/experiences that you provide.