September 1, 2017
How to Survive in a Toxic Work Environment
Not all work places are healthy and while that is not okay, you can learn to deal with it, even thrive in it. The first and most important thing that you need to understand is that it is not about it. Working in a toxic work environment is not something that you create- it takes a culture of repeatedly ignoring bad practices, or toxic employees for a a work place to become toxic.
Here are 5 steps to follow
- Be cordial to everyone- Do not ever pick sides, this has a way of backfiring. Stay cordial with everyone and keep your business your business.
- Find an Ally- While you don’t want to divulge your private life or secrets to anyone, you do want to find an ally, that you get along with. A Toxic work place can be detrimental to any person, so having that one person that you get along with well, would help alleviate the toxicity of that environment until you are able to find different employment
- Take Notes- Keep notes of incidences that occur, you never k ow when you might be called upon to give testimony or that you may need it yourself.
- Do your best job- A toxic work environment while very depressing should not give you room to slacken off on your work. Do not anyone any reason to question your work or use that against you.
- Find Another job- Actively looking for another job has a way of giving you peace of mind. This is true because it lets you know that you have taken control and are working on getting yourself out of your current position. Do not let a bad work place negatively affect you or your peace of mind. It is never worth it and it is the loss of employers who do not know how to properly manage their company to keep toxicity out of their work place.