June 28, 2018
How to Fit in on Your New Job
How to fit in on your new job shares tips on getting along with your co-workers at a new job. Much has been said about how people should treat a new employee but not a lot as to how that new employee should adapt.
Not to worry, here are tips to help
- Be Friendly: At a new job, you want to make sure that you are personable and friendly with everyone you meet. Don’t set out to ruffle any feathers.
- Be Respectful: Your co-workers have been there longer than you have so give that respect of probably understanding the job’s culture better than you do.
- Be Mindful: For this, you would need to have emotional intelligence to understand how your actions and/or non-reactions may be perceived by your co-workers. While you do not want to come across as pretentious, you want to make sure that you are not sending out unintentional negative vibes
- Ask Questions: It is commonly said that you never get lost asking questions and that is correct. So ask questions! If you don’t understand, it is okay to ask questions for clarity and to avoid confusion down the line.
- Keep an Open Mind: Do not go in with preconceived notions about what should happen. Every job, dynamic and relationships are different. So while it is okay to have certain job expectations, don’t expect to see everything follow set paths that you may have known. Keep an open mind and learn new things
- Don’t engage in Gossip: You’re the newbie here.While engaging in gossip may sometimes be tempting, don’t do it. Being a gossip reflects badly on you and though you may not know it, people are watching
Lastly, relax and enjoy your new job. Let the new adventure take you somewhere you have not been before and make it a point to learn something from this job.